[OPLINTECH] Traffic Shaping & Smoothwall 3.0 (Polar)

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Wed Aug 29 15:38:09 EDT 2007

HI All,

As per a note to Steven (below) here are my observations.

<snip>
Thanks, Dan! Even better, why not post a note to OPLINTECH after you've
done some poking? I'd like to keep the conversation going there, to hear
what folks have been doing and plan to do.

Stephen

On Wed, August 29, 2007 12:13 pm, Dan Will wrote:

> Hey Steven,
> I have been using Smoothwall Express 2.0 for over a year and, it has
> worked well for us. I have noticed the network congestion (just like
> everyone else). So after listening to your podcast I thought I check the
> Smoothwall forum for suggestions. Lo and behold they've released Version
3.0
</snip>

Here's the scoop.

Software:    Smoothwall v3.0
Hardware:   Gateway 7400 server (Gates Foundation Server)
       2 - 933MHZ P III cpu
       1 GB Ram   (yes I had 2 servers, 1 of which the mobo died and I'm
cheap/frugal, you decide  ;^)
        1 SCSI HDD

I downloaded the ISO from Smoothwall.org (69mb for the i686 version & 71mb
for the 64 bit)

Burned the iso using Nero (choose your favorite burner)
booted the server from the cd, answered the assorted questions, rebooted
Time from start to finish (not including dl & burning) less than ten minutes
those of you not familiar with Linux & Debian in particular the install
process "might" be a
little confusing. Read all messages closely.

My thoughts.

with 40+ new features I like what I see (so far) The 1st new feature that I
ran into is
SCSI support. In the past the only way to get that was to recompile the
Kernel (none of
that for me, thank you!) or pay for the corporate version. The install found
the card in less time than
the server takes to post. The next feature is the traffic shaping.
Complete list of Improvements

Smoothwall 3 (Polar) does not have as many "HomeBrewed" mods, YET.
For those of you who use (or want to) Dan's Guardian (NO I'm not THAT Dan)
will be included
by default in a future release of SW 3 (from the forum it sounds like 2 or 3
months at most).

I can clearly see a firewall upgrade in our future.

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy