[OPLINTECH] Ubuntu in libraries

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Thu Dec 6 09:12:07 EST 2007

That is a nice article. And Jim Mann at GCPL has good points.

We set up a VMWare Edubuntu server with one workstation connected this year
to test.
Now we plan to switch over additional Children and PAC workstations.

We currently are building / testing  openSUSE 10.3 on the VMWare server.
Connecting by http or TightVNC from Windows.
I selected it to see what it offers and as our file server is Novell to see
if they play well together.
Otherwise it would have been Ubuntu for consistency with Edubuntu.

Large libraries might easily go to Linux, small ones might have a problem
unless a very static system.
They might not have anyone on staff to maintain, enhance, troubleshoot, etc.
Our staff has Windows user experience but only Chauncey (Director) and I can
do much with Linux.

There can be a large learning curve with Linux on the support side.
It has taken many hours to get the Novell Linux Client to 'see' and logon to
the Novell Server.
But it still won't run the server login script.
After a lot of Google'ing for information and calling on Chad at Level 9
Networks it looks as if the problem is SLP.
SLP V1 is on the server but SLP V2 is on openSUSE.

I'd venture most library's could not get this far (or even heard of SLP,
Service Location Protocol).

As Jim mentions, before switching staff PC's to Linux we must address our
TLC (The Library Corporation) CIRC client issue.

*** N.B. A statewide switch to Koha or PINES would solve it very nicely. ***

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901