[OPLINTECH] Internet Problems

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Thu Dec 13 17:52:05 EST 2007

Ok, here goes. I work for a small library in Greenville Ohio, we are
having a problem with our Internet since moving into our temporary
location. The problem is that occasionally when using the Internet the
browser seems to lose connection and no longer can navigate to pages. It
is important to note that some of these computers are running an RDP for
our remotely hosted catalog, the RDP still will work when this happens
on them. The remedy to this problem is normally to reset the connect via
restart or repair connection, some times all it takes is closing the
browser and re-opening it. These problems are sporadic making them
extremely a pain in the butt. It's as though only the application layer
of the connection is effected.

Solutions I have tried:
I have replaced the previous switch with a new one (needed to do this
anyway it was old and I think was hit by a power surge).
I have checked all the CAT5e cables with a cable tester, they were fine.
I have had OPLIN run a usage test for me, we are not using that much of
our bandwith.
The only thing effected systems have in common program wise is the OS,
MS Windows XP.
Checked the switch, no restrictive setting are set there.
Also check to make sure there was no Cables running against florescent
light fixtures, there aren't.

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

PS
A thought just accrued to me, that when we first came into this building
we had a similar problem with our wireless connections. To solve the
problem I upped the transmitting frequency of the wireless router, it
fixed the problem. I assumed that a satellite dish or other such device
was causing the interference. Could this also be the case with the wired
connection? If so what can I do about that?

--
Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster