[OPLINTECH] Internet Problems

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Dec 14 07:51:18 EST 2007

Not an expert but..

As resetting the browser sometimes fixes it I would think it's pc related.
Some things to check follow.
They may not help but shouldn't hurt and may provide a clue

Is anti-virus up-to-date and a recent scan performed.
Ditto for spyware. We use Spybot. scan & immunize

Only have one virus scanner active.

Check windows task manager ~ Performance for total commit, vs. physical
memory.
If you don't have enough memory there will be a lot of file swapping to the
drive.

See if the cpu is getting slammed.
Sort Process's by CPU to check for a hog.

Don't run so many user started applications that they hog the CPU

Turn off un-needed services via  Services and Applications
 (UPS control,  Fax Service, etc.)

Check to see when the anti-virus is set for a full scan.
Once a week may be enough
Then set for scan on access.
Probably could set to ignore certain dir's or files or network.
Symantec seems to uses a lot of resources during scans.

Clean up the pc. Temp dir's, Windows '$xxx' files (if you don't plan to back
out updates).
Clean up the browser cache and history
Defrag the disk. Chkdsk or Spinrite it.
Make sure the firewall is on. A remote firewall is nice also.

Verify MS security updates are up-to-date.

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901