[OPLINTECH] Internet Problems

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Dec 14 08:50:13 EST 2007

The fact that when the problem occurs, your RDP session is still working
helps to rule out your local network as the source of the problem. You
say that your RDP session is to your remotely hosted catalog. So,
presumably, TCP/IP packets are able to get from your workstation,
through your local network, out your gateway and off to the Internet
(your remotely hosted catalog) and back. In general, it sounds like the
network is working.

If the problem is only affecting the browser, then it sounds like you
need to focus on things that would cause the browser to not work. The
problem affects multiple machines, so the problem is more likely to be
centralized. If you have a proxy or caching server that proxies and/or
caches HTTP traffic, that would be a good place to check. It would only
affect HTTP traffic. You could also verify that DNS is resolving
correctly when the problem occurs. If the URL can't be resolved to an IP
address, it could act as you described.

If you don't have an HTTP proxy and DNS is resolving when the problem
shows up, check the configuration on a problem workstation. See if an
HTTP proxy has been configured on the workstation. There shouldn't be
one configured if you're not using one. A malicious program
(virus/worm/trojan/spyware) can use a hidden proxy on the workstation to
intercept HTTP traffic. Malicious programs can, in general, also
interfere with network traffic to and from a workstation. It's worth
while to verify that the workstations are clean.

Also, to answer your question about satellite, etc. interference on the
wired network: Very unlikely. If there was a network disruption of that
sort, a bad cable, network cables running along power cables causing
interference, etc., the network problems would affect ALL network
traffic; not kill the browser and leave your RDP session working.

Hope this helps,
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --