[OPLINTECH] iTunes/iPods on public computers

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at wcnet.org
Tue Dec 18 14:39:45 EST 2007

The default action iTunes takes with an iPod is to format/erase the iPod and
sync with whatever music is stored locally at the time.  This can be turned
off, but then the software functions slightly differently than home users
may expect.  This will create problems and confusion for staffers and
patrons alike if folks aren't at least generally aware of how the software
works.

"My iPod had 40gb of music on it when I came in here, but since I plugged it
into your machine it's all gone."

My major concern, however, about iTunes is that there's very little to no
reason to have an account with iTunes without owning an iPod.  There's
almost no reason to own an iPod if you don't own a home computer.  Supplying
folks with iTunes seems to encourage them to use Public machines as their
"Personal" machines.  When you purchase an iPod, it says very clearly on the
box the system specs your computer must meet in order to use the device.

iTunes is used for 2 purposes:

1- Cataloging and storage of your personal music collection through the
importing of CDs and the purchasing of files online. This is a personal
jukebox of sorts, like Media Player.
2- Interacting with your iPod.

What follows is a personal opinion.  As a public library employee, I want to
be a portal to information and not custodian/guardian/warden of it.  As a
tax payer, however, I would hate to see public librarians spending a lot of
time dealing with iTunes for patrons who probably shouldn't have purchased
an iPod in the first place.  I think that Shane got it right with, "We don't
install ITunes for patrons to use, but do allow them to install it
themselves."

Many Norweld libraries use DeepFreeze and this allows them to pretty much
leave computers wide-open for patron use but easily purged of changes with a
simple restart.

Trav

Travis McAfee
Technology Coordinator, NORWELD