[OPLINTECH] iTunes/iPods on public computers

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Tue Dec 18 15:42:29 EST 2007

We do not have I-tunes installed on public computers here. We also have
a policy preventing the installation of software by patrons on our
public computers.

The main concern I would have about installing an application like
I-tunes is the loss of data that occurs when the computer is rebooted
(we use cornerstone). We also use envisionware which is set up to reboot
the computers when patrons log off them.

What I think would be most beneficial would be an application that would
work with i-pods and other mp3 players that could be used to transfer
songs, delete songs, edit play lists etc.. on the devices without a
built-in "store" interface. Then if a patron wanted to download mp3
files legally, they would be able to transfer then to their players.

As far as market advantage, since we offer audio books, videos, and
music from overdrive, the library is giving "market advantage" to
devices that can play windows media format files with DRM (Digital
Restriction Management), of which the i-pod can not do. The way to get
these files onto a portable device is to transfer them using windows
media player. Windows media player is on all our public Internet
stations.

-Ed Liddle