[OPLINTECH] iTunes/iPods on public computers

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Tue Dec 18 16:06:46 EST 2007

2 solutions for i-pod using library patrons :

If a patron downloads a mp3 file legally and wants to put it on an
i-pod, they could always plug the i-pod in and save the file to the
ipod. The computer running microsoft windows will see the i-pod like any
other usb storage device when the i-pod formatted for windows. When they
get to their own computer the patron can plug the ipod in, transfer the
file onto their computer, start i-tunes and use i-tunes to transfer it
back to the ipod so the ipod can play it.

The technical reason for this from
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodFAQ
 iTunes obfuscates the filenames of your music by giving them names such
as DLER.m4a in folders with names like F03. The folders do not match
albums - the tracks are placed randomly in the different directory. The
album/artist/title information is stored in a database file called
itunesdb on your iPod.

Another solution for i-pod users is to set up Rockbox
http://www.rockbox.org/ on the i-pod. This is open source and can
co-exist with the factory firmware on the ipod and does not require
i-tunes to transfer music onto it in order to be playable while using
rockbox.

-Ed