[OPLINTECH] Providing freeware/software...

Shane Ian Hoffman shoffman at pickawaylib.org
Tue Dec 18 15:02:19 EST 2007

I'm going to make a tangent on the ITunes/iPod topic.

I have a large number of kids who are routinely downloading specific trial
software and freely available games.in addition to whatever they're
downloading that I don't want to know about.

The problem here is that we have limited bandwidth.  We have a T1 that our
staff uses to get to our central office to do our ILS work and access other
consortium resources.  We also have a RR Business line.  All of these
downloads, however, are eating up our RR line.  Rather than fork out another
X amount of dollars for a 2nd RoadRunner line or considering one of those
fancy schmancy 10 meg lines from OPLIN, I was thinking about taking another
approach.

I have tons of excess disk space on my servers.  I was thinking of
downloading a number of these games and apps to a share on the network, and
allowing them to get the games internally rather than sucking up bandwidth
downloading 50 copies of HALO3 Demo every day.  I have a few questions I'd
like to pose to everyone first.

1.	By making the software available via a library server, does that
imply that I also intend to support it.  I can make it generally known that
I don't or make it available via an internal web page that specifically
states that I don't.
2.	Does this become a Pandora's Box for everyone wanting software
available inside the library?
3.	Is there any liability if we are providing easy access to the
consoles for subscription based services?
4.	Legal issues related to demo or trials being hosted in that fashion?

If anyone has any experience with this set up or perspectives on issues I
haven't thought of on the topic, I'd appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks

Shane

 Shane Ian Hoffman
IT Coordinator
Pickaway County District Public Libraries
1160 North Court Street
Circleville, OH  43113
phone - 740.477.1644 ext. 232
fax - 740.474.2855