[OPLINTECH] Providing freeware/software...

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Dec 18 15:33:11 EST 2007

It sounds like a caching proxy server with a large cache would do you a
fair amount of good. It would also eliminate the need to maintain your
file repository. Popular downloads would be cached and as their
popularity fades or upgrades occur, the cache would float out the less
popular downloads and http content.

At the libraries I support, I use IPCOP (an open source firewall) that
includes squid, an http cache (along with numerous other services). This
helps to conserve bandwidth and helps a lot with Microsoft Updates, etc.
The setup works very, very well.

As a side note, I'm beginning to use an IPCOP addon called cop+
(dansguardian) for CIPA compliance. The added benefit is that it
conserves a bit more bandwidth when it blocks content.

It's all FOSS (Free Open Source Software).

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --