[OPLINTECH] Providing freeware/software...

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Tue Dec 18 16:11:35 EST 2007

<snip>

At the libraries I support, I use IPCOP (an open source firewall) that
includes squid, an http cache (along with numerous other services). This
helps to conserve bandwidth and helps a lot with Microsoft Updates, etc.
The setup works very, very well.

</snip>

Chad,
   Have you tried Smoothwall Linux. I have often heard IPCop & Smoothwall in the same breath. My understanding
is that IPCop is a fork from the early Smoothwall tree. I have been using Smoothwall for better than a year and a
half. Smoothwall 3 was released about 4 months ago and the community (Homebrewers) have a pretty good selection
of add-ons for it. Smoothwall 3 (Polar) has SCSI support (and works great with the old Gates Foundation server)
and throttling capabilities built in now.
Just curious about your take (I'm not switching from Smoothwall ;^)

--
Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
willda at oplin.org

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy