[OPLINTECH] Providing freeware/software...

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Tue Dec 18 16:38:13 EST 2007

I have used IPCop with the Copfilter add-on at home. I had it scanning
pop-3 e-mail for spam and virus's. I was running it on an old PIII. It
worked extremly well for tagging spam e-mail and catching viruses on
incoming e-mail but seemed to run slow.
Earlier this year I switched to Smoothwall express 3  (free version). It
seems to be lighter than IPCop with Copfilter. I now have smoothwall
scanning incoming pop3 e-mail for virus's. I do not have it scanning for
spam. That does play a part in the quickness. One thing I do like about
smoothwall is the real-time traffic graphs and bars. You can see the
current bandwidth usage on the smoothwall interfaces as well as what
each client is using. I have not tried to use any add-ons with
smoothwall yet.

Overall I am quite pleased with Smoothwall.

-Ed Liddle