[OPLINTECH] Providing freeware/software...

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Dec 18 20:39:34 EST 2007

Dan,
You're right. IPCop was forked from SmoothWall GPL 0.9.9 in 2001. While
I've never used Smoothwall, I understand that the two codebases have
diverged considerably and are now two very different products. IPCop
still shares some of the original Smoothwall code, although it is being
phased out more and more with each new release. IPCop is 100% GPL (free)
and is community supported. Smoothwall (a for-profit company) does
provide Smoothwall Express as free and a more robust version for a
price. (I'm sure you know more about Smoothwall than I do...)

I just searched the IPCop newsgroups for comparisons between the two and
saw a comment made that IPCop provides the features that the commercial
(not Express) version of Smoothwall provides for a fee. The author went
on to say that for the features that are not part of the main code base,
an add-on is usually available that provides the feature. No-one
disputed the claim. (Again, though...this was on an IPCop newsgroup, so
expect some bias.)

Just like you, I've been using IPCop for quite some time (four or five
years) and don't plan to change. It is well supported and does
everything (and more) that I need from it.

Anyone who is considering a new firewall should look at both Smoothwall
and IPCop and decide for themselves which one is better in their
situation. I suspect that you'll find similar features in both. Either
one will definitely be worth much more than their price!

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --