[OPLINTECH] Office of Information Technology Customer Update - January 25, 2007 (Emergency Network Maintenance)

Gicale, Greg greg.gicale at ohio.gov
Thu Jan 25 13:34:42 EST 2007

Office of Information Technology Customer Update - January 25, 2007

Emergency Network Maintenance

Cisco Systems, Inc, announced three software vulnerabilities on January
24th.    Most of OIT's routers and switches are running software
versions that have one or two of these vulnerabilities.    No OIT
routers and switches are running IPv6, so the third vulnerably does not
apply.

While there have not been any cases of these vulnerabilities being
exploited yet, OIT is responding to these announcements by aggressively
upgrading software on devices and implementing mitigating filters on
various parts of the network.      As long as there are not reports of
exploitation of these vulnerabilities and the mitigation filters appear
to be working, we will be aggressive, but work with due care, in our
router and switch upgrades.

This allows OIT to balance the risk of quick major changes to the
network with the risks of have vulnerable software on routers and
switches.     Many times overreacting to vulnerabilities can be more
damaging than the vulnerabilities themselves.

As with good network security response practice OIT is working from the
outside in, on upgrading the network.

We will first upgrade and mitigate the Internet Connection Layer.  This
will protect the Internet Perimeter.   We have loaded upgraded software
on the SOCC Internet Connection router, but have not reloaded it with
this new code.    Later today we will load upgrade software on the
Rhodes Internet Connection router.    By doing this, OIT can quickly
respond in an emergency manner if it becomes required.    The current
plan for the Internet connection and ohio.gov core follows:

Friday January 26th from 5 AM to 6 AM

OIT will install mitigation filters on our Internet connection routers
on Friday, January 26th from 5 AM to 6 AM.      We expect these
mitigation filters to be unnoticed by any customer with legitimate
network traffic.    OIT will monitor the counters on these filters to
verify that they are not affecting any customer traffic.

The filters will prevent attacks using the TCP Crafted Packet
vulnerability from the Internet to all OIT managed routers and switches,
and prevent attacks using the IP Options Crafted Packet vulnerability
from the Internet to any router and switch in the Ohio.gov Network.

Additional maintenance will be announced Friday, January 26th for our
maintenance periods scheduled on January 30th, February 6th and February
13th.

Ohio Customer Service & Security Center - After Hour Service Escalation
Procedure

Effective immediately, the following after hour (Monday through Friday,
5:00pm - 7:00am and Weekends) escalation list should be utilized when
service related matters need to be brought to the attention of UNS-NA
management.

Customers should wait a minimum of 30 minutes before attempts are made
to contact the next level of support

Ohio Customer Service & Security Center

Voice: 644-0701 (Columbus Calling Area) or 800-644-0701 (Outside of the
Columbus Calling Area)

After Hour Service Escalation

1.  UNS-NA Service Manager             (614) 216-1621

2.  UNS-NA Program Manager           (614) 466-6516

3.  UNS-NA Program Administrator    (740) 398-1333

Customer Suggestions:

Please send your suggestions for improving our network services to:
E-mail: OCSSC at ohio.gov

Ohio Customer Service & Security Center (OCSSC):

E-mail: OCSSC at ohio.gov