[OPLINTECH] DNS Question

Tom Casey TCASEY at libraryvisit.org
Wed Jun 6 13:41:04 EDT 2007

Greetings:

Having a DNS problem.  Our  DNS servers are resolving the URL of a yahoo
image server incorrectly. This is resulting in yahoo hanging and unhappy
patrons.

In detail, http://us.i1.yimg.com <http://us.i1.yimg.com/>  (yahoo's
chief image server) is resolving incorrectly to 192.232.17.19 it. By
using my dial up connection I can see that it should resolve to
64.86.95.33.

When I do a tracert command I get the following response that appends
the akamaitech.net domain to the results

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert us.i1.yimg.com

Tracing route to a943.x.a.yimg.com.1ad67941.1.cn.akamaitech.net
[192.232.17.11]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.100.0.1

  2  10.100.0.1  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

We use Windows 2000 and 2003 servers for our DNS. We have this problem
if I use the default Windows supplied forwarders or if I remove them and
manually add ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Casey

Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County