[OPLINTECH] Lending/Circulating Laptops for Public Access

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Thu Jun 14 10:53:44 EDT 2007

Wow,
I have heard of libraries allowing patrons to have laptops to use within
their libraries but haven't yet come across one actually letting patrons
take them home. We have had wireless web tablets at several of our
branches for a few years left on tables so patrons could pick them up
and use them around the library. We had a lot of issues with these in
having to create a space/power for charging them, patrons leaving them
lying around with inappropriate content left on them, and having to come
up with a way to reset them to default after a patron is done with them.
We have since decided that the web tablets will only have our web
catalog available.

 At very best you would need to have a product like Deepfreeze by
Faronics on them that reset the laptop back to your vanilla
configuration when it was returned. Further you would need to have
control over all the accessories that go with the laptop to the patron
as well as a large area for storing and charging the units between
loans. It can get quite expensive to manage and time consuming for staff
also having to check them over every return cycle. It is a large
undertaking.

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library