[OPLINTECH] Lending/Circulating Laptops for Public Access

Maria Wilburn wilburma at oplin.org
Thu Jun 14 10:39:53 EDT 2007

We a mid-size rural public library in an old Carnegie Public Library
Building. We are about to start a remodeling project at our library and
our Architect in his original presentation mentioned that "a lot of
libraries are now lending laptops to patrons. These laptops can be used
anywhere and you don't have to allocate in library space for them." This
translated in to our board believing that lending laptops was a done
deal. And that was what we're going to do.

I now have several questions for all of those libraries in Ohio that are
circulating laptops or have considered doing so.

Let me know why decided to lend or decided not to lend laptops?

Can you tell me your success or failure stories? Need pros & cons for
this subject.

If you are lending: Who are you? Can we come and visit?

Maria Wilburn-Technology Coordinator
Carnegie Public Library
127 S North St.
Washington CH, OH 43160