[OPLINTECH] Lending/Circulating Laptops for Public Access

Mohamed A. Ragheb raghebma at canalfultonlibrary.org
Thu Jun 14 16:06:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

At our library we don’t lend laptops and I don’t see us going this route although wireless internet access is available.
In my opinion I would not recommend to lend laptop outside the library “may be inside the library after ensuring security “ but wouldn’t recommend it to go outside the library for the fact that you have to deal with so many issues such as these ones down bellow with my recommendation to overcome these problems if you have to go this route .

1- What would you do in case of the laptop is lost, stolen or damaged
“you have to get insurance and make sure it will cover these situations"

2- You have to be careful with licenses and see how that will work with your scenario
“best thing is to offer Open source OS such as “ubuntu” and open source applications as well"

3- You have to inspect the laptop components after each time come back to the library
“ a person can remove some of the RAM or replace the hard drive with another one very easy "
I’m thinking to be safe than sorry and I know that most patrons would not do that but you never know.

Hope that helps

Mohamed A. Ragheb
IT Administrator
Canal Fulton Public Library