[OPLINTECH] The Circulation Laptop

Maria Wilburn wilburma at oplin.org
Fri Jun 15 14:37:22 EDT 2007

I posted the questions earlier concerning Lending/Circulation of
Laptops. The current plans would be to have the patrons "check-out" the
laptops for use within the library or to set them up as Kiosks for
express Internet access. Some of my concerns are...

1. Patron abuse/damages.
2. Check out procedures, getting the computers "re-configured/overnight
updated" etc.
3. Spacing requirements for storage & prep of systems.
4. Failure rate of equipment. Unavailability of equipment due to
problems or it being sent for repairs.
5. In the Kiosk scenario: Do they take up less space than something like
  Gateway Profile? and do patron have problems with the smaller screens,
keyboards & mice on Laptops Vs. a small form factor desktop system.

--
Maria Wilburn-Technology Coordinator
Carnegie Public Library

(740) 335-2540 voice