[OPLINTECH] Looking for non-patrons

Don Yarman yarmando at delawarelibrary.org
Mon Jun 18 10:14:05 EDT 2007

Dear OPLINTECH--

I will be moderating a panel discussion at the OLC Convention
this fall.  The program is called "You Offer Me Nothing:  Serving
Next Generation Patrons."  The idea came to me while speaking
with a colleague who has no use for public library services:  he
doesn't read novels, he gets videos from NetFlix or BitTorrent,
his research and information needs are abundantly met through
on-line resources.  He's not anti-library, but the library services
are largely irrelevant to him.

I'm looking for others like him to pad out the panel.  My intent
is not to try to convince these people to use libraries, but to give
librarians a chance to explore what we might do differently to
serve this segment or at least maintain their support.

If you have friends who are reasonably comfortable spouting
opinions in public, who might be willing to talk about why they
don't need libraries but what libraries might do to be relevant to
them, please send me a message.

Thanks.
                                 Your most humble and obedient servant,

                                 Don Yarman