[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Open Office

John Springer springjo at oplin.org
Fri Nov 16 10:34:40 EST 2007

We are investigating Open Office as well. So far, I only have a few staff
members trying it out. I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2003 from my computer
2 months ago, and have not missed it.

We currently have Microsoft Office 2003 installed on our public computers.
We are reticent to upgrade to Office 2007 because of the numerous command
changes reported by users. I'm concerned there will be a steep learning
curve for both patrons and staff. We'll be doing an ILS system migration
over the next 6 months, so we won't have time to deal with additional
training or migration related to Microsoft products.

We intend to leave Office 2003 on our computers for at least the next 9
months. We have installed a Microsoft conversion
tool<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en>that
will allow opening of 2007 format files in Office 2003. After our ILS
migration, we will seriously consider migrating to an Open Source solution
(Linux/Firefox/OpenOffice) for at least our Public Workstations, and
probably staff workstations as well.

It's easy to explain to both staff and patrons that less money sent to
Redmond means more money for books.

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone has had compatibility issues with
OpenOffice and Office 2007.

--
John Springer
Computer Services Manager