[OPLINTECH] public computers (Hijacked Thread)

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Oct 19 13:22:01 EDT 2007

Dan,

I've been giving new life to existing workstations that would otherwise
be retired. For the clients, I've been using software from the open
source project, Thinstation (http://thinstation.sourceforge.net). On the
back-end server, I'm using Windows XP Pro (yes, XP) with XPUnlimited
(http://www.xpunlimited.com/) installed on it to provide the RDS
(terminal server) function. This setup gave the users a highly familiar
WinXP desktop with no transitional issues that a Linux desktop would
have imposed. While the thin clients are using the Linux-based
Thinstation software, the users see almost none of it.

As far as cost, the only cost we have in it is the cost of XPUnlimited,
about $200 (now ~$350, I think) and tech time. While it's not completely
FOSS, it sidesteps staff/patron resistance and meets the Windows
requirement imposed by the library's current (old) automation software.
Using WinXP does have some licensing requirements, but at this library,
we fall within the restrictions with no problems. Check the WinXP
license agreement if you (or anyone else) tries this type of WinXP
solution. I think there is a link to it from the FAQ on the XPUnlimited
web site.

There are plenty of other TC solutions out there, this one just seemed
to fit very well with the situation/staff/patrons/budget.

FWIW, Community Library in Sunbury has set up an Edubuntu
(http://www.edubuntu.org/) test. While I wasn't involved with the setup,
they seem happy with what they see and would like to build upon it.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --