[OPLINTECH] Linux Apps

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Wed Oct 31 15:19:34 EDT 2007

Hi all,
   I hope you all saw Bob Neepers earlier post. I sent a note back to him
about Linux apps.
As we are mostly a MS shop I am looking for direction from the group. First
a little background.

We have:

3 Win2k3 servers
60 (give or take) Win2k/XP PCs
1 Linux firewall (Smoothwall)
2 Linux dev servers (Debian)
I have tried out Linux in many flavors over the last couple of years.
I have a PCLinuxOS box @home and I like it (my wife isn't so sure yet, no
games  ;^)
I have a Kubuntu Box here that I am playing with (thinking of converting my
XP box too)
So I have some Linux experience.

I am going to try an experiment. Using Kubuntu (I like the KDE interface
better than Gnome)
I am looking at setting up a patron computer with visual/hearing impaired
patrons being the focus.
I am not real familiar with Linux apps (other than the ones ported to
Windows...OO.o, FireFox, Scribus,
AbiWord, etc.) so I'm looking for apps such as screen readers, screen
magnification, voice recognition,
anything created to assist these patrons.

Anyone with personal knowledge of Linux & or Linux apps willing to express
their opinions....Please drop me a note.

Thanks,

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy