[OPLINTECH] Linux Apps

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Wed Oct 31 17:27:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:19 -0400, Dan Will wrote:
> so I'm looking for apps such as screen readers, screen
> magnification, voice recognition,
> anything created to assist these patrons.
>
> Anyone with personal knowledge of Linux & or Linux apps willing to
> express
> their opinions....Please drop me a note.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Dan Will
> Technology Supervisor
> Meigs County District Public Library
> willda at oplin.org
> 740.992.5813
> 740.992.6140 (fax)

Dan,
I do know that Ubuntu 7.04 has a section in their add/remove
applications  called accessibility. It lists the following apps:
Dasher - Predictive text entry

KSayIt - Text to speech Frontend

kttsmgr - KDE text to speech Manager

onBoard - Flexible onscreen keyboard for gnome

On-Screen Keyboard - The Gnome on-screen keyboard

Orca Screen Reader and Magnifier- Present on-screen information as
speech or braille, or magnify the screen

Screen Reader and Magnifier - Assistive Technologies for Blind and
Visually Impaired

I have never personally tried to use any of these. This may provide a
starting point for you. Another source for information may be a LUG
mailing list. http://www.ohiolinux.org/lugs.html
--
-Ed Liddle

Technology Assistant