[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Office 2007 on public workstations?

Nick Kelley nkelley at lkwdpl.org
Wed Dec 31 15:28:01 EST 2008

Hi Craig,

We have been using Office 2007 for the past 6 months. We had to make some
modifications to make the default file type compatible with older Office
versions and we have had to train staff and public on some of the
differences but everyone seems to be adjusting. Also, we are lucky we
purchased new computers recently so the RAM issue hasn't been a problem. If
you can add more memory that would probably fix that problem.

Nick

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Craig Heaton <heatoncr at oplin.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm wondering how many library systems are offering Microsoft Office 2007
> on
> their public workstations?  If you aren't, what alternatives do you offer?
> An older version of Office?  A version of OpenOffice?
>
> We are considering installing it onto the public workstations, but I'm
> reluctant to do so as it has been problematic for us on the staff
> workstations (resoure hog which requires us to increase installed base of
> RAM, interactions with our catalog software and other Java based apps,
> corruption of data tables, etc.).
>
> Craig Heaton
> System Administrator
> Clermont County Public Library