[OPLINTECH] Macs, PSPs and Wi-Fi

Karen Perone peroneka at oplin.org
Tue Feb 5 15:13:28 EST 2008

We just introduced public Wi-Fi at our library and if you have a PC
laptop, you can surf with the pros. However, there seems to be some kind
of issue with Mac books and other devices like PSPs (which I didn't even
know had Internet capability).

We are an open network with no WEP and are using DHCP. For those of you
with similar setups, are there firewall issues that seem to be different
for Macs? Do they require a different port to be open for access to the
outside world?

They seem to be able to attach to the network (full compliment of bars)
but fail when trying to get an IP from the router. Thus, they can't get
to the Internet.

Any thoughts?
Karen Perone              peroneka at oplin.org
Systems Coordinator
Rodman Public Library     voice: 330-821-2665
215 E. Broadway Street    fax: 330-821-5053
Alliance, OH 44601        http://www.rodmanlibrary.com