[OPLINTECH] Macs, PSPs and Wi-Fi

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Tue Feb 5 15:31:23 EST 2008

Karen,
   Each laptop that comes in may have previous ip configuration done to
it before it came through the door. they need to be set to dhcp or they
won't get the correct addressing. I've run into that several times here
at Meigs. Our patrons generally do not know anything about addressing
and just had some friend set them up on their (the friend's) network. So
of course it doesn't work here.  ;P. You need to run mac's version of
ifconfig (ipconfig in Windows) to see what address information that your
router is handing out. If everything looks okay then, it should work. I
have had some problems here with our proxy and some laptops
(mac/linux/windows) where the proxy address & port needs to be added to
their browser. Strange since I have it set to transparent but, there you
go. So I suppose that could be a problem as well.

--
Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
willda at oplin.org

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy