[OPLINTECH] Open Office Software

Steve Miller millerst at oplin.org
Mon Jan 28 14:52:59 EST 2008

On the subject of public awareness, we have actually had community
members compliment us on making OO available on our public machines.
Something to the effect of "Low-income families in our community could
not afford to obtain most Microsoft products - it's great that you have
a free alternative available here, something that they can use on their
machines at home as well as here at the library."

Matter of fact, after much resistance, suspicious sidelong glances and
gnashing of teeth, I've actually been using Writer and Calc on my home
computer.  The resistance was, I admit, mostly psychological and
philosophical -- OO and MSO are very very similar.

I'm doing a workshop for our staff next week to introduce them (more)
to  OpenOffice.  Our new fleet of public computers will have OO (as well
as other opensource material) installed on them.

BTW, if anyone can suggest training guides for OO, please let me know!

So far the biggest point of YUCK that I'm seeing is no bloody clipart!
I'm totally spoiled on MSGallery's offerings!

Steve

--
Steve Miller, Technology Coordinator
millerst at oplin.org
(440) 997-9341 x239 / fax (440) 998-1198
Opinions expressed are my own.