[OPLINTECH] Application distribution techniques

Chad Neeper (list) cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jun 13 13:44:03 EDT 2008

Background:

I have a long history with Novell software and for years and years I've
had the ability to very easily distribute applications (among other
things) ranging from the most complex (think MS Office) to the least
complex (think single program file, single Windows registry change,
single change to an .ini config file, etc.). In a nutshell, the process
is as simple as taking a picture of a workstation, installing the
program or making a change, and taking a second picture of the
workstation. The difference between the two is the installed program and
whatever else has changed on the workstation. The program can then
plugged into the server's directory, registry entries and program files
modified if need be, and then assigned to users and/or workstations. A
shortcut to the program is automatically placed on the user's computer.
When the user clicks on the shortcut, if the program has never been run
on the workstation before, the program very quickly self-installs from
the original image I created and then executes as normal. I also have
the ability to take that program, "ball it up", and easily insert it
into another of my clients' networks. This saves huge amounts of time
and benefits everyone. There is much more than I've described, but this
is the gist of this particular feature.

A little more current background:
With the introduction of Vista, most of my libraries are facing
significant server upgrades to accommodate the new OS. This provides us
with a good opportunity to take a look around and see if there is now a
better way to operate. One notable benefit if we stick with the same
path we're on:  we will have a good transition point into Linux, since
Novell has ported most of their software portfolio onto the Linux
platform and we're now able to use the same software on either a Netware
or Linux platform on the back-end and on the front-end, we have a choice
of a strong Linux desktop platform or Windows.

Question:
Without getting into the whole tired and un-winnable argument of Netware
vs Windows vs Linux on the back-end, I'm curious as to how some of you
are managing and automating the distribution of applications, etc. to
your desktops and how flexible and happy you are with your system.

Thanks in advance,

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --