[OPLINTECH] openSUSE now has an Education package option (think Edubuntu)

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Thu Jun 26 12:21:09 EDT 2008

For your consideration, an option to using Edubuntu.

Reference sites:
http://www.opensuse-education.org/   Welcome at openSUSE Education
http://www.opensuse-education.org/download/ISOs/installation_on_10_3.pdf

openSUSE Education is still a work in progress but seems doable now.

We have been able to: (using a VMware server pc)

 Download the openSUSE 10.3 iso. Install it and do updates.
 Add the education s/w repository and install it

 Set up eth1, Enable DHCP, TFPT and NFS Servers.
 Deploy the kiwi-ltsp configuration (a one line command).
 This also configured all required services such as NFS, NBD, TFTP and DHCP
(so we probably didn't need to earlier).

 Build a new kiwi image (another one liner)

 Start a second VMware PC, connect to the first and log in (same as
Edubuntu).

We still need to set up the kiosk mode (KDE Desktop instead of Gnome) and a
few other items.

When it all works we plan to replace our Edubuntu Server.
We have 5 openSUSE pc's and want to standardize.

Future possibility of diskless workstations for certain staff use, patron
PAC's, etc.
(Same as with Edubuntu)

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901