[OPLINTECH] Inventory/Asset Management

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Tue May 13 16:36:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 15:28 -0400, Mindy Holmes wrote:
> Do any of you use a good Inventory/Asset Mangement program that is
> free
> or very inexpensive?  Are there any good open source products?

If it doesn't have to be automated there is one called PCInventory that
is under the GPL. http://www.andrioli.com/en/pci.html
It is web based and can keep track of invoice info, warranty info,
software licenses, location of equipment, etc.

If you are seeking an automated solution I have found BGInfo to be quite
useful http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx

I have also found WinAudit to be a useful automated solution as well.
http://pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

I use all three.
PCInventory is nice to keep track of details like warranty info,
physical location, number of licenses used/unused, invoice/amount paid
info. It does also have a simple trouble ticketing system as well. This
is a very manual solution and also can keep track of what an automated
solution can not.

BGInfo I use to create a spreadsheet of computers. It grabs
hardware(hard drive space, amount of ram, processor speed, mac address,
etc) info and what user was logged into it when it ran and updates a
spreadsheet with the information. This is great to get an idea what
computers are the slow ones and helps me figure out which ones need to
get replaced.

WinAudit I use to create  xml files ( one for each PC) that lists what
programs are installed on them and what windows updates are installed on
them. I use the xml files to periodically check to be sure the automated
windows updates are working and to also be able to tell what programs
are installed on a computer.

Both BGInfo and WinAudit I have set up to write everything to a file
share so all the info they collect are in the same place.

I hope this helps.

--
-Ed Liddle

Technology Assistant