[OPLINTECH] Network Topology Software

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed May 14 15:53:30 EDT 2008

Mindy Holmes wrote:
> I am looking for good free/very inexpensive (preferably free) software
> to draw some network topology diagrams.  I can do some very crude
> renditions through the Office products, but would like something better
> with a better look to it.

I've been using Inkscape.  It's not designed specifically for
network topology diagrams, but the sorts of simple shapes one
normally draws for those (rectangles, lines, arrows, and so on)
are quite easy to draw.  Inkscape produces .svg files by default,
but it can also export to .eps, .pdf, or .png if desired.

I've also heard good things about Dia, but I've not used that
myself, so I can't offer a meaningful comparison.