[OPLINTECH] public software foundation

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu May 29 15:31:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:42 -0400, Nathan Eady wrote:
> Wouldn't you get a steady stream of
> requests for Microsoft Windows installation disks, from people who
> have lost their OEM ones and need to reinstall, not to mention MS
> Office and Symantec AV and such?

We get patrons in our library from time to time who want to check out
microsoft office to install on their computers at home. For some reason
they assume that since it is loaded on our public computers that we must
lend it out. In my opinion it would be nice to have an open office CD
cataloged that you could point them to instead of a piece of scrap paper
with the address http://openoffice.org scribbled on it, or give them the
information that microsoft office sells for about 400 or 500 dollars at
a retail location.
On occasion I will download and burn some open source software to a CD
for a patron who has a computer at home but has either no or slow (dial
up) internet access. We have a few patrons who don't have broadband
internet available where they live.
We haven't gotten many requests for windows installation media or open
source operating system installation media from patrons. I suspect it is
because media like this is typically included with their PC purchase.
Sadly it is often housed on a hidden restore partition on the hard drive
with instructions in the manual to burn a copy of it to cd/dvd media and
don't lose it because only 1 or 2 copies are allowed to be made of it.
If the hard drive failure rate exceeds the computer replacement rate
there may be one day frequent requests for such media.

--
-Ed Liddle

Technology Assistant

Marysville Public library