[OPLINTECH] new database and remote authentication

Karl Jendretzky jendreka at oplin.org
Fri Nov 21 08:29:35 EST 2008

All,
    I figured this would be a good time to do a quick rundown of what we
need to be able to do authentication for a database.

First off the vendor has to be able to do authentication based off of ip
only. This usually isn't a big issue, and I've only ran into one small
vendor out of the hundreds that libraries subscribe to that couldn't
handle it in some way.

Second we need a generic link to the resource. By generic I mean that it
doesn't have any information in the url that is specific to any one
library. We keep a database of generic links here at the office, which
lets us add database links to your locally purchased databases tab
pretty quick, since the same link will work for any library.

Lastly you just need to give the vendor your OPLIN proxy IP address. All
the authentication in the world won't save us if the proxy ip address
doesn't have access. OPLIN proxy ips always start with 66.213.41 and
have a 4th octet of whatever their FSCS is. For example, Ada (OH0001) is
66.213.41.1.

We will try to setup authentication for anything that you ask for, so as
usual if you need anything, give us a call.

Thanks,
    Karl Jendretzky
    Technology Project Manager
    Ohio Public Library Information Network