[OPLINTECH] Survey on floppies, CD burners, and flash drives for public computers

Greg Ricker rickerg at wtcpl.org
Wed Oct 8 16:59:31 EDT 2008

1. Library name: Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
2. Public computers have floppy drives? Yes 22 at main, approx 30
additional computers at our 5 branches.
3. Floppies sold at library?  Price? Yes, $0.50 each

4. Public computers have CD burners that patrons can use? Yes on all
public machines
5 CD-ROMS sold at library?  Price? Yes, $0.50 for CD-R's and $2.00 for
CD-RW's

6. Patrons can use flash memory drives on public computers? Yes
7. Flash drives sold at library? Price and capacity? Can you recommend a

good vendor? No

8. Plans to change any of this? Yes. We were looking at our regional
library system in our area to facilitate a group purchase for flash
drives but I guess there was not enough interested to get the per unit
rate we were hoping for.

9. If you used to have floppy drives for the public but don't anymore,
how did you deal with the transition, especially in terms of patrons who

needed to transfer data from their floppies to some other media? n/a

10. Any other comments? Some of our computers still have internal ZIP
disk drives but those are slated for replacement in November of this
year. We have also kicked around the idea of putting in a self service
vending unit (similar to snacks) in our building to allow the public to
purchase what they need. The unit would sell and dispense floppies, CD-R
and RW's, Flash drives, notepads and library branded merchandise.

Hope this helps!

-----
Greg Ricker
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
Assistant Department Manager, Information Technology
444 Mahoning Ave. NW  Warren, Ohio 44483
rickerg at wtcpl.org
330.399.8807 x406