[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Survey on floppies, CD burners, and flash drives for public computers

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Mon Oct 13 16:24:24 EDT 2008

I have results for 22 Ohio public libraries, many who e-mailed me and a
few in our county that I called - thanks very much to everyone for their
participation.  Below (and attached - same info but better formatting)
is a summary of the results, followed by everyone's comments (stripped
of identifying info).

It's not too late if you still want to respond - I'd be grateful for
more input.  Again, thanks very much to everyone who responded.

Phil

Summary

•	Number of libraries: 22 (public libraries in Ohio)

•	Public computers Have floppy drives:
o	yes	13
o	some	5
o	no	4 (all but one of the "no" libraries has external floppy drives
available)

•	Sell floppies? price?
o	yes, 25¢:	1
o	yes, 50¢:	7
o	yes, 75¢	1
o	yes, $1	6
o	yes, $1.50	1
o	yes, 50¢ used, $1 new:	1
o	no:	5

•	Public computers Have CD burners
o	yes:	11
o	some:	5
o	no:	6

•	Sell CD-ROM's? price?
o	yes, $1:	9
o	yes, 50¢:	2
o	yes, 50¢ for CD-R, $2 FOR CD-RW
o	yes, $1 for CD-R, $1.50 FOR CD-RW
o	no:	9

•	Patrons can use flash drives:
o	yes:	22

•	Sell flash drives? price?
o	yes, $5:	1
o	yes, $6:	1
o	yes, $7:	1
o	yes, $10:	4
o	yes, $15:	2
o	yes, varies:	1
o	no:	12

•	Capacity of flash drives you sell:
o	512:	1
o	1 GB:	5
o	2 GB:	2
o	varies:	2
o	n/a:	12

Future plans / comments:

Massive amounts of free online storage and increasing popularity of
online apps like Google Docs makes storage less important.

Plan to add cd writers to all patron pcs

Our new computers are thin clients, each with a USB hub.  We have some
with ext floppy drives attached, with a few extra drives that can 'float'.
We are trying to transition to USB media as opposed to floppies or even CDs.

Since we only replaced half the public computers at a time, this gave
patrons plenty of warning & time for the transition.

Flash drives: I buy from Newegg or TigerDirect and pay $6.99-$8.00 each
(hp, Kingston, DataStick)

We just ordered 7 replacement PCs without floppies, so for a couple
years we will be in transition - some PCs will still have floppies and
the new ones will not.

CD Burning is rarely requested and 700MB is a small amount of memory
when compared to modern flash drives.  We will burn an occasional ISO
image for a patron though.  When the patron compares speed, size, and
ease of use...flash drives win hands-down.

Flash drives sold at library: The capacity changes from month to month.
  We use CDW-G for our vendor who has been good about getting us really
good deals.  One lot of flash drives ended up being around $4 each for
512MB.

They can still use the older computers to transfer files, but they are
strongly discouraged from re-using floppies.  Once they find out the
size comparison with a floppy and even a small USB drive, they quickly
see the light.  Floppy disks are slow, small, and unreliable...a dead
technology.

Every patron machine has a CDR in it.  Next year they will have DVD-R.

Flash drives: Yes, we sell them at the Circ desk, but the service is
offered by the Friends of the Library.  The Auditor didn't like us
selling them and wanted to track patrons names, so by having the friends
do the purchase and receive the money we don't have to worry so much.
We sell 1gb DataTravelers for $10.  I can't really recommend a great
vendor because price and capacity change constantly.  Get 3 quotes and
choose the best. (We used CDWG, GlobalGov, and Florida Micro).

We may sell DVD-R disks next year.

Staff machines will still have floppy drives, but it will be my
RECOMMENDATION we don't burn disks for anyone.  If someone would like
something moved to a USB memory stick, that would be a worthwhile time
investment for them.

I tell every patron I come into contact with (classes, assisting them in
the lab, or on the occasion I'm covering the Ref Desk) that Floppy disks
are the oldest piece of technology still being used and it's becoming
incredibly hard to purchase new computers with Floppy Drives in them.  I
tell them it's the least dependable storage solution available, explain
to them how USB sticks work, and most make the transition on their own.
  If you educate people and do not appear to have an agenda to sell them
anything, they tend to move on their own.

We were looking at our regional library system in our area to facilitate
a group purchase for flash drives but I guess there was not enough
interested to get the per unit rate we were hoping for.

Some of our computers still have internal ZIP disk drives but those are
slated for replacement in November of this year. We have also kicked
around the idea of putting in a self service vending unit (similar to
snacks) in our building to allow the public to purchase what they need.
The unit would sell and dispense floppies, CD-R and RW's, Flash drives,
notepads and library branded merchandise.

Flash drives: Our goal is to maintain the low price.  The first batch
(Sandisk) we bought were 512 MB.  Second batch (Kingston) are 1 GB. I
have seen good prices at geek.com but do not know where our orders were
from.  We just buy any brand and do not have our logo on them.

I think the portable USBs would work well for a transition.

Older patrons with older machines at home tend to still use floppies.
Younger crowd, college students and techies are using the Flash Drives.

We paid a bit extra to have [floppy drives] included in our new
computers.  Staff computers have not had floppy drives for two years. We
provide a USB floppy drive at public service desks.

Floppies sold at library? No. We recycle old floppies and "loan" them to
patrons.

Public computers have CD burners that patrons can use? Yes. New
computers actually have DVD/RW but no burning software and you can't
burn DVDs in XP.

CD-ROMS: No. And we don't provide them. We did do a thing in Steady
State where we had a re-directed My Documents folder but frankly no one
has burned a CD in the three years we've been offering it.

Sell flash drives? No. Several people have in the past suggested looking
at flash drives from Tiger, Global or Newegg. Branded flash drives are
too expensive for the capacity you get IMHO.

Some simple things about external media...make sure you set the bios not
to boot from floppy or USB or CD. Not to scare anyone but if I can boot
from my flash drive I'll own your computer and a big chunk of your
network by just rebooting.  Also, and I don't want anyone to get in a
twist, but we have been told that if you sell floppies, CDs or whatever
you have to charge tax and report it etc.

Plans to change: Maybe add DVD Burners

Source for flash drives: M&J Technologies but also CDW-Gov.

We are trying to get patrons to move over as we have not found floppies
to be that reliable.  They fail a lot.

Yes, but don’t really sell any anymore. Charged 1.50.  Not really
selling the floppy’s anymore due to low demand.

As of right now if we do upgrade our computers not sure if we would
offer flash drives.

--

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator