[OPLINTECH] Survey on floppies, CD burners, and flash drives for public computers

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Wed Oct 8 12:45:31 EDT 2008

We're going to be replacing our public computers (used for Internet and
Microsoft Office), and we're also at the point where we're about out of the
flash memory drives we sell so we'll need to re-order.  I'd like to get some
information about what other libraries in the state are doing with regard to
the kind of removable storage that patrons can use and that the library
sells.  I have put together a list of 10 questions about this below; I would
appreciate any information you could give me, and I'll be glad to compile
everyone's answers for the list (please let me know if you don't want me to
include your library's name when I do this).  Also, below the questions are
my answers and thoughts.

1. Library name         Meigs County District Public Library

2. Public computers have floppy drives?         All of them (about 40)

3. Floppies sold at library?  Price?            Yes $1 ea

4. Public computers have CD burners that patrons can use?         At least 2
per location (4 locations) about 30 total

5 CD-ROMS sold at library?  Price?        $1 ea

6. Patrons can use flash memory drives on public computers?       Yes

7. Flash drives sold at library? Price and capacity? Can you recommend a
good vendor?           No

8. Plans to change any of this?  Add cd writers to all patron pcs

9. If you used to have floppy drives for the public but don't anymore, how
did you deal with the transition, especially in terms of patrons who needed
to transfer data from their floppies to some other media?

10. Any other comments?

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor

Meigs County District Public Library

willda at oplin.org

740.992.5813

740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?

Fiction has to make sense.

Tom Clancy