[OPLINTECH] Bandwidth issues.

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Thu Sep 4 12:57:06 EDT 2008

"Christopher Brose" <brosech at oplin.org> writes:

> Also, in response to Travis's anecdote, I'd like to remind everyone
> that in the coming cold winter months, please try and always have at
> least a small amount of traffic on your connections to prevent the
> lines from freezing.
>
> Is that really true???????

For most modern connections, this is no longer a major issue.  Newer
cables are usually freeze-resistant (as long as you don't *bend* them
while they're cold), and also newer physical-layer mechanisms often
have built-in overhead data, for timing and syncronization and so
forth, which also has the side effect of keeping a steady trickle of
bits going all the time, even when there's no payload data.  Frame
relay, for instance, has framing data all the time, even when there
are no packets using the channels.

However, if you still have an old UUCP connection running on pre-EIA
cables, you might want to take precautions.

HTH.HAND.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library