[OPLINTECH] GCPL: Public computers losing internet connection

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Fri Sep 19 11:14:05 EDT 2008

We have recently upgraded 70 public computers.
The new computers are randomly and sporadically losing connection to the PCReservation management stations and either displaying a message asking for a library card and PIN or station unavailable. When the error occurs the PC will also not connect to the Internet until it is restarted.
These are identical Dell 740, XPpro, IE and FireFox, Microsoft Steady State, latest PCReservation and LPTOne.
We have:
Uninstalled SP3
Installed Microsoft updates
Turned off Automatic updates

What is making this frustrating is that it is not all the computers and never the same computer that exhibits this behavior.
I accept the fact that it may be in Steady State but thought I'd post here in addition to a couple other lists.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.