[OPLINTECH] TrueCrypt on Public Internet stations

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Tue Aug 18 13:58:01 EDT 2009

Our tax volunteers are forced to use TrueCrypt by AARP and it’s driven them bonkers 2 years in a row.  I’ve seen them wrestle with some issues (version conflicts, multiple log ins, etc) and I’ve had to step in and offer support for them several times.

I personally couldn’t imagine training our librarians on its uses and ramifications, and I’m not comfortable putting software on computers that they Information Desk can’t support or adequately explain to patrons.  That’s just me.  However, I’m not saying it’s a bad idea at all.  You might consider explaining the concept, limitations, and operation of the software to your primary computer monitors and see how they respond.  I find them to be an invaluable resource for gauging public opinion on these sorts of things.

Travis McAfee

Systems Administrator

Way Public Library

101 E. Indiana Ave.