[OPLINTECH] TrueCrypt on Public Internet stations

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Aug 18 13:13:09 EDT 2009

I've installed it on (quasi-)public computers for the volunteer tax
people (I forget the group's name at the moment) to use with their USB
devices. I've not installed it for general patron use, although I don't
see any problems at all with it being there. No _technical_ problems,
that is, even on a locked down desktop. HOWEVER...The patron using it
need to be saavy enough to understand the ramifications of doing so.
They need to know that if they use it at the library, they have to be
able to use it every other place that they use their USB device too. You
might also need to provide a way for the patron to copy the install
software to an unencrypted portion of their USB device for later use.
Beware suggesting that an un-saavy patron install and use it, though!
It'll probably come back to bite you when they can't get to their data
files somewhere else. LOL!

I guess I'm ultimately of the opinion that it's a good idea. Those
patrons that know and understand it will use it. Those that don't, won't
and with no harm done.

My 2 cents!

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --