[OPLINTECH] PC Image Broadcast Techniques

Eric Maynard emaynard at holmeslib.org
Fri Dec 4 12:19:41 EST 2009

Looking for input from the list on any imaging products/techniques that
might be in use out there for supporting public (and staff) computers.  More
specifically, I am interested in  the potential for using "broadcast
imaging" or some other semi-auto means of updating whole PC images.

I personally have tried a variety of imaging tools using everything from
open source utils to Ghost, but I have settled on Acronis True Image for
last few years.  I would like to consider taking this a step further and be
able to just blast a periodic update to all of our public PCs.  Acronis'
Snap Deploy sounds like the perfect product for this, but I was hoping
others might have some input to offer on this or similar products.

Questions I am interested in exploring:

How often to broadcast updates?

Is it practical to do this once a month for OS updates and AV?

What impact does configuration play into the frequency?

What impact does re-creating a PC have on other management software such as
time or print management?

What advantages/disadvantages does this have over central update control via
a thin client solution?

Thanks in advance for any insight or comments you might have to offer on the
subject.

Eric Maynard
Head of Information Technology,
Holmes County District Public Library
Millersburg, OH  44654
Email [emaynard at holmeslib.org]
Phone [330.674.5972 x.224]
Fax   [330.674.1938]

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"