[OPLINTECH] Google Announces Public DNS Service

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Dec 4 13:31:34 EST 2009

Probably the best thing an individual library or system can do
performance-wise (strictly with regards to DNS!) is to locally cache DNS
requests at the firewall/proxy/gateway/etc. With the FOSS network
perimeter firewall that I typically use, DNS caching is integrated and
automatic. (Check the features of your own existing setup; you might be
pleasantly surprised!) That way if one workstation on the network has
previously resolved a domain name, that information is cached and
available to any other workstation on the network that does the same DNS
lookup. No additional impact on the pipe to the Internet at all. In the
grand scheme of things, however, it typically takes just a few small
packets of data to complete a DNS lookup request. If DNS lookups are
pushing your Internet access over the edge, then it may be time to
really sit down and analyze your usage and make some strategic changes.

Off and on I've considered using OpenDNS for a few libraries, but
ultimately never ended up using it. You generally want to use the DNS
servers that are closest (in a networking sense). The closest DNS
servers will generally respond the fastest to requests. The state's DNS
servers seem to be provisioned well-enough and I've not had any problems
with them. One of the servers I usually use is just six hops away from
workstations at one of my libraries. Unless the State of Ohio is hosting
one of OpenDNS' or Google's DNS servers on the state's network, it can't
get any closer than that.

Now if you're looking at the filtering features, that's different...

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --