[OPLINTECH] Experiences with TechSoup

Joe Knueven knuevejo at oplin.org
Mon Dec 14 15:54:05 EST 2009

I learned to love TechSoup in the position I had prior to my current job.

At the time ordinary governmental public libraries were able to access
Microsoft software through techsoup without having 501c3 status.  501c3
was needed to acquire any of the non-Microsoft software that they
carried.  The pricing was substantially less than any educational
pricing I could find at the time.

In addition to certain limitations in how frequently you could access
their program, the main limitation that I found was that the software
had to be used/available for public use in one form or another.  I found
after asking that this could include server software for backend servers
that public would access in one form or another.

The only downside I found had to do with updates.  For example, in my
previous library I had public computers that had a mix of Windows 2000
and XP, and I used Tech Soup to standardize around XP.  The discs I
received from Tech Soup had the original Windows XP on them (ie no
service pack updates) so I had to download and install service packs one
and two.

At the time this inconvenience was worth the savings over educational
pricing.

Joseph Knueven
Director
Germantown Public Library