[OPLINTECH] Wifi question - captive portal

Barb Kuhns BKuhns at daytonmetrolibrary.org
Mon Feb 2 10:41:00 EST 2009

We are testing captive portal technology so that patrons using their own
laptops will have to agree to our Acceptable Use Policy before using the
Internet through the library's WiFi.  It means patrons have to use a
browser before before being able to use the Internet.  If patrons would
begin by opening an email client and try to connect, they would not be
able to.  My understanding is that other places besides libraries that
have public Internet available are typically set up in this fashion.
What other WiFi setups are you using that function in other ways?  I'm
trying to get an understanding of what other Ohio libraries are doing to
provide this service.

Thanks in advance for your information.

Barb Kuhns

Assistant Director for IT Services