[OPLINTECH] ad blocking / bandwidth

Chip Kruthoffer c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org
Thu Jul 16 14:09:41 EDT 2009

Related to Karl's comments about Ad bandwidth consumption in the new OPLIN
Circuit <http://www.oplin.org/oplin/circuit/July2009.pdf>:

I have turned on blocking of the "WebAds" category on our BlueCoat
proxy/content filter today. I've messed with this before and I'm not sure
why I didn't stick with it. If you have a content filter, chances are it
offers a similar category you can use to block these sites.

RE: Firefox, the best option I've found for managing its settings with MSFT
Group Policy is from *FrontMotion* (
http://www.frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE/index.htm).
We still use IE most everywhere, but if you want to deploy and manage FF
globally, check it out. They are pretty good about keeping current with FF
versions.

If you use OpenDNS <http://www.opendns.com/customers/industry/19/>, you can
block the category *Adware*, but on first glance they don't seem to have a
content category for regular ads. Still, worth a look.
If you *aren't* using OpenDNS, give it a look! Here's a .pdf of slides from
my TechConnections
2.0.0.9<http://www.techconnectionsohio.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/opendns.pdf>presentation.

--
Chip Kruthoffer, Systems Manager