[OPLINTECH] Printers for Cassie

Dave Parvin dparvin at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Thu Jul 16 15:53:12 EDT 2009

Hello colleagues,

We have recently instituted Librarica's Cassie printing and patron login
system and are adjusting to the changes.  We currently have one print
release station set up for two printers (HP Laserjet 4200n for black &
white, and HP LaserJet 4650n for color) on our main floor where most of
our patron printing activity occurs.  We have just noticed that some print
jobs containing heavy duty graphics are taking much longer than when
previously connected just through a TCPIP port to the network.  Since a
visible queue now exists which holds up patrons one behind the other, this
has been a frustration for both staff and patrons themselves when one big
print job holds up all the others.  Has anyone had such similar slow
printing issues, and if so, what suggestions can you give to resolve this
problem?

I realize that we'll most likely have to upgrade our heavily used black
and white printer with either additional RAM or a new printer altogether,
but would like to draw on your experience before making a big purchase.
Are there certain printer models that handle busy print queues that you
would recommend, or would maxing out the RAM be just as effective?  And
other ideas are welcome too.

Thank you!

Dave Parvin

Assistant Technology Coordinator