[OPLINTECH] Computer Training Tips

Karen Perone peroneka at oplin.org
Tue Mar 17 09:30:22 EDT 2009

Rodman Library has a very successful computer training program ranging
from Mouse Basics to Designing a Web Site. Details can be found at
http://www.rodmanlibrary.com/rpl/activities/inetclas.htm

I've been leading the training here for 10 years and have discovered a
few things that I incorporate in our offerings and share with our
instructors.

First, never assume that the people sitting in front of you know all the
basics. When you write the descriptions for the classes, include
pre-requisites - must know how to use a mouse; must be familiar with the
Internet; must know how to type and use a word processor.

Second, offer the basics classes before you offer more advanced classes.
We have a sequence and partner specific classes together - Mouse basics
is closely followed by Windows Basics and Internet Basics, for example.

Third, if the material is too long for one session (ours range from 1
hour to 2) then make it a series where they have to attend all the
classes. Web Design is a 4-week series with assignments each week;
sometimes Word is single topics, sometimes a series.

Last, don't just stand at the teacher's station and expect everyone to
be able to follow what you are doing. I burn more calories in some of
the classes I teach than I do on the treadmill! Never move on to the
next step until everyone is at the same point. Sometimes people do get
in over their heads (didn't read the requisites) and you have to ask
them to just follow along so the whole class doesn't suffer.

We also offer an open lab once a month where people can practice what
they've learned in class and ask questions. This is slowly catching on.

HTH -- Karen Perone

Karen Perone              peroneka at oplin.org
Systems Coordinator
Rodman Public Library     voice: 330-821-2665
215 E. Broadway Street    fax: 330-821-5053
Alliance, OH 44601        http://www.rodmanlibrary.com