[OPLINTECH] IE 8 for public computers?

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Tue Mar 31 11:54:29 EDT 2009

Phil:

I am currently testing IE 8 Final on my XP Service Pack 3 machine at my
desk. In my opinion, Its not ready for public use. There are quite a few web
sites that do not work correctly in it. Many government web sites as a
matter of fact, even in compatibility view do not render correctly. I am
sticking with IE7 for awhile longer because all the government web sites
work with it.

Web Developers and Government sites haven't updated their code yet to be IE8
Complaint. This will come in time. I am going to hold off on IE8 for a bit
and see what happens, as there are issues of it breaking machines and other
things out there. Many users(doing a Google search) will report their
computer won't reboot after installing IE8 amongst various other quirks.
It's nothing major, just your basic new release software glitches. I just
don't want to be on the receiving end of them.

I will go to IE8 at some point soon, but I will wait for a few months worth
of Patch Tuesdays to fix all the issues with it before I move forward. I
know it is going to be released to Automatic Update in April, But I am going
to use the IE8 Blocker Toolkit to Disable Windows Update from installing it
automatically, or offering it until I am sure most of the bugs have been
worked out of it.

If you do decide to go IE8 let me know how it goes. Good luck

Sincerely

Ron Woods
Computer Services Manager
St.Clairsville Public Library