[OPLINTECH] IE 8 for public computers?

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Tue Mar 31 13:13:23 EDT 2009

Ron,

Thanks for your detailed answer; I suspected there were issues but it's
nice to have details.  All the private replies I got advised that it was
too soon to prudently deploy IE8.  I'll wait.

Phil

Ron Woods wrote:
> Phil:
>
> I am currently testing IE 8 Final on my XP Service Pack 3 machine at my
> desk. In my opinion, Its not ready for public use. There are quite a few web
> sites that do not work correctly in it. Many government web sites as a
> matter of fact, even in compatibility view do not render correctly. I am
> sticking with IE7 for awhile longer because all the government web sites
> work with it.
>
> Web Developers and Government sites haven't updated their code yet to be IE8
> Complaint. This will come in time. I am going to hold off on IE8 for a bit
> and see what happens, as there are issues of it breaking machines and other
> things out there. Many users(doing a Google search) will report their
> computer won't reboot after installing IE8 amongst various other quirks.
> It's nothing major, just your basic new release software glitches. I just
> don't want to be on the receiving end of them.
>
> I will go to IE8 at some point soon, but I will wait for a few months worth
> of Patch Tuesdays to fix all the issues with it before I move forward. I
> know it is going to be released to Automatic Update in April, But I am going
> to use the IE8 Blocker Toolkit to Disable Windows Update from installing it
> automatically, or offering it until I am sure most of the bugs have been
> worked out of it.
>
> If you do decide to go IE8 let me know how it goes. Good luck
>
> Sincerely
>

> Ron Woods
> Computer Services Manager
> St.Clairsville Public Library
> St.Clairsville Ohio, 43950
> Phone: (740) 695-2062
> woodsro at oplin.org

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
330-928-2117, ext. 109
pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary dot org

believed to be clean.